Bike month is upon us! Riding a bike is a cost-effective way to reduce your impact on air quality. Have you wanted to ride your bike to work? Have you been looking for ways to get your family involved in biking? Are you unsure of the safety and responsibilities of commuting with a bike? Try one of these ways to get involved:
- Tell us where you want to pedal. MARC is working with regional partners to develop a Regional Bikeway Plan that will establish a vision for high-priority bikeway and trail investments across the metropolitan area. Use the interactive WikiMap to tell us where you are currently riding, where you want to ride and what’s keeping you from riding.
- Check the BikeWalkKC calendar of Bike Month events and programs to help you and your family better understand bike riding safety and needs. Be sure to check out the MARC Bikeway Map to find a safe route for your recreation or commuting.
- See how over 100 women participated in the KC Women’s Bike Summit on May 10. BikeWalkKC organized this groundbreaking event for women of all ages and backgrounds. The MARC AirQ program presented information about the RideShare program, including details about how the Guaranteed Ride Home program can provide transportation in times of emergency.
- Understand the Kansas and Missouri bike laws. Cyclists are expected to uphold traffic laws, just like drivers. You can be a responsible rider by reviewing the Kansas and Missouri bicycle statutes.
- Rent a Kansas City B-Cycle bike from locations all around the downtown and Crossroads areas. Register online to access any of the station locations. Ride to lunch, to a downtown meeting or just to have fun!